- Finding suitable cargoes for ships or finding suitable ships for cargoes.
- Marketing of ships to traders/customers/shippers/charterers/receivers.
- Negotiate shipping terms and contracts until a deal is agreed between a ship and cargo interests.
- Use company`s database to establish supply and demand dynamics in a certain area at a certain period of time.
- Involved in many stages of setting up and negotiating deals, including presenting the business to potential clients, negotiating the main terms of a contract and seeing it through to its conclusion and any follow up that may be involved.
- A good Broker would keep a close eye on the shipping market, interpreting trends and seeing opportunities for clients.
Requirements:Key skills and qualifications of Ship Broker:
- The ideal candidate would hold a commercial degree or similar commercial qualification.
- Client management/relationship building skills.
- Previous experience in this role may not be required depending upon previous work experience.
- Having an entrepreneurial nature would be highly desirable along with a strong personal drive to succeed.
- Ability to negotiate is vital as this is a principal skill requirement in Ship Brokering.
- Good understanding of accounting and numeracy skills are essential to this job.
- Excellent presentation skills will be required.
- A Broker must be able to communicate well both verbally as well as in a written format.
- Ability to use Microsoft office, ie Word, Excel.