Leading global contemporary art gallery representing many of the most significant international artists and estates of the 20th and 21st centuries seeks to add a Staff/Sales Accountant to their Accounting team. Founded in 1960, our client has been a vital force in the art world and has introduced many renowned artists’ work to the public for the first time. Now in its sixth decade, the gallery has mounted more than 700 exhibitions, including scholarly shows that have subsequently travelled to museums, and has published nearly 400 exhibition catalogues.
The Staff/Sales Accountant will take on a broad range of responsibilities related to accounts receivable, sales and art purchasing journal entries; entering and reporting cash receipts in multiple currencies; reconciliation of numerous accounts including sales, receivables, inventory, artist production and artist payables; reviewing and generating corresponding accrual entries for art-related production and deferral entries for unrealized sales; reporting sales to management; completing sales reports of gallery sales for artists; review of / revision to customer statements and support to dealer’s office of customer account information.
Some responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and post entries for sales, consignment, commission and inventory purchases, etc.
- Generate and review artist’s monthly/quarterly consignor/sales reports
- Develop and review weekly A/R and Inventory reconciliations and formal month end reconciliations
- Support month end closing process, including posting of journal entries, preparation of account analyses
- Support midyear audit reviews and international year end audits
- Create new reporting capabilities including Artist P&Ls
- Prepare and document and update policies and procedures, as needed
- Work closely with colleagues to complete timely month end closing
- Assist in generating, analyzing and correctly reporting weekly sales to management
- Other ad-hoc projects as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- 1-3 years of relevant accounting experience
- In-depth understanding of entries, debits and credits etc. One needs to understand the meaning behind such things
- Experience with accounting software
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook with a strong emphasis on combining and using higher functions in Excel including SUMIF, INDEX-MATCH & PIVOT TABLES
- Team player with excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work with all management levels.
- Strong service provider attitude always ready to support other offices
- Takes initiative to solve issues, incorporates a collaborative working style and accepts direct accountability
- Must be detail-oriented, analytical and possess strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Must be enthusiastic about challenging the status quo and assisting in process improvements